Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Motor Tour 8 - Friends

Perhaps the greatest and most interesting part of the trip was just meeting and spending time with people I would have never have met otherwise. For example, even way out in the middle of nowhere we found young people who were learning English! This young fellow, whose sister's English was half decent (his wasn't), had never even met a foreigner before...

At the opening ceremony we even rubbed elbows with Darhan's vice-governor for a bit. He knew a bit about CAMA Services and was pleased with my Mongolian.

On our very own team we had a variety of backgrounds - like two doctors and several businessmen (e.g. a kimchi company, and this guy owns part of a cellphone company as well as the international market in town). We had VERY different ideas about economic development, but I think that we both really came to respect each other (and you can see how he just adores "Jack"!).

For me it was even more than just the individuals, but watching and enjoying how we all functioned and began to relate as a group of Mongolian men ;) For example the evening toasts were a cornerstone to bonding (and I figured out how to get out of drinking!); and seeing discomforts fade as guys started to find their niche or specific function in the group. I think that I may have ended up learning more about the culture from the campsites than from the historic sites! I praise God for this culture and for these friends!!

1 comment:

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

That looks like the same VP who came by the vision clinic. Same hat, too! :)