Monday, July 05, 2010

Motor Tour 6 - Rivers

Here is bold "Jack," leading us to greener pastures. This is a cliff overlooking the Orhon valley... I've never seen Mongolia so green! It was a beautiful spot, which was good because we ended up staying there for HOURS trying to fix a car. This area north of Darhan is famous for its vegetables (which may not be saying much for Mongolia, but is still impressive to me).

Further up the river, although several more hours around, we stopped and spent some time around this ferry. I grew up near a ferry and, while I wasn't too impressed with the ramps, it was ingenious how they use cable winches to slant the ferry so that the current pulls them across (no motor!).

We ended up visiting seven "rivers" on our trip (some of them less than knee deep). On especially hot days we would all strip down to our undies and jump in (or crawl in, as the case often was). One of the cultural curiosities we did NOT participate in was the sand sauna... a little too hot and a little too close!

I know this is supposed to be G-rated, but I thought you would be proud to know that all 3 of us Americans didn't hesitate to follow suit... it was pretty frigid but, like I said, it was HOT out there!

2 comments:

the lains said...

this is great!

Rooted Renaissance Girl said...

Uh... awkward. ;)